- Cut along the top of the pillowcase (where it is sewn together). This will be the top of the dress.
- Measure the J-shaped armholes using the template (see link to website for templates below). Draw around template and cut armhole shape.
- Cut dress to length (see chart below), allowing an extra 2 cms for hem. Iron over 1 cm hem, then another 1 cm hem to tuck in raw edges. Sew this hem in place.
- Make casing at the top of the dress: Turn cut edge at top under 1 cm and iron. Now turn over another 3 cm and iron. Sew close to the edge.
- Cut 2 pieces of elastic (see chart for length). Attach a safety pin to one end of elastic and thread through casing. Pin both ends of elastic in place and sew across each end of elastic and casing (do this a few times to secure it).
- Cut bias-binding to length x 2 (see attached for length). Needs to be long enough for armholes and ties on the shoulders.
- Fold bias binding in half lengthways - iron. Pin the bias-binding to both armhole edges, centring it lengthwise so there are equal amounts on each end for shoulder ties.
- Sew the tape around armholes, starting at the end of the binding. Tuck in raw edges at the ends of the tape.
- Tie your ties and dress is finished!
Chart for sizes (in cms)
Size (age) Finished length Folded width Bias-binding length Elastic length
Baby 36-40 40 76 15
1-2 44-48 43 89 15
3-4 51-56 45 91 18
5-6 59-64 50 91 18
7-8 67-72 55 91 18
9-10 74-77 58 91-100 20
11 79-84 58 101 20
12-14 87-89 58 101 20
see 'sewdelightful.blogspot.co.uk' for more information and photos.